Blundstone was established in Tasmania in 1870 and despite growing to become one of the world's most recognizable boot brands, the company remains Tasmanian. Our head office and manufacturing base for all our gumboots are located in Hobart, Tasmania: Australia’s island state.
Our Tasmanian history, heritage and people have helped shape the way our boots have evolved; perhaps it takes a unique place to inspire the development of a unique boot.
Here are a few reasons why Tasmania is so special:
- Tasmania has the cleanest air recorded in any populated place by World Health Organization
- Tasmania is the second most protected landmass in the world after Antarctica
- Huon pine trees which grow only in Tasmania have been shown to be 38,000 years old
- 90% of energy generated in Tasmania is renewable
- The Tasmanian mountain shrimp has survived unchanged in the highland streams for at least 200 million years
- Tasmania has three unique timbers found nowhere else in the world – Huon Pine, Sassafras and Myrtle